Offers of the Public Initiative "Terra-Convention" on preservation of the Belovezhskaya Pushcha
January 29, 2003
- 1. To change the subordination of the National Park "Belovezhskaya Pushcha" to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment Protection, the nature protection institution.
- 2. To develop a Regulation on the National Park "Belovezhskaya Pushcha" in accordance with the national and international nature conservation legislation.
- 3. To stop economic and business activities in the Belovezhskaya Pushcha that contravene the Law on the specially protected natural areas and sites, certain international conventions, terms and recommendations of the Council of Europe's Diploma.
3.1. To forbid all commercial hunting on the territory of the National Park.
3.2. To remove the wood-processing line in the Kamenyuki village as well as other economic activities that contravene the main goals and objectives of the National Park.
3.3. To put an end to the authorized timber production on the territory of the Belovezhskaya Pushcha.
3.4. To increase the Park's budget for Belovezhskaya Pushcha by 85 per cent that it was possible to supply others 15 per cent (instead of 35 per cent as now) in the form of activity which would not contradict norms of ecological ethical on protected territories.
3.5. To establish a public surveillance council within the Park's administration.
- 4. To increase the area of strict protection zone (Wilderness Protection Zone) to 50 per cent or more of Pushcha's territory (for reference purposes currently it amounts to 18 per cent) and to take measures to expand the World Heritage Site «Belovezhskaya Pushcha» over the entire area of the protected zone.
- 5. To strengthen and enlarge the scientific department including the development of new activities (scientific tourism, publishing, another).
- 6. To give the Scientific and Technical Council of the Belovezhskaya Pushcha National Park the power of directive initiative.
- 7. To elaborate and submit for public consideration a plan of Belovezhskaya Pushcha sustainable management up to the year 2020.
- 8. To call on the international community:
8.1. To carry out an independent expertise of Belovezhskaya Pushcha as the World Natural Heritage Site.
8.2. On the base of results of examination to discuss the proposal on expediency of the Belovezhskaya Pushcha into the special List of the Threatened World Heritage (for reference purposes there are accordingly 2 lists).
The Initiative "Terra-Convention" (Public support of the international documents on environment protection signed by Belarus) (Minsk city)
tel. (017) 236-50-76
You can send your remarks on this project to the electronic addresses firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy to Pushcha-XXI@tut.by